I tried out the Mod Kid Penelope pattern for this one, and I am so happy that I did! Seriously? From tracing the pattern to pulling it on, my total time investment was about an hour and a half. (I actually spent more time adding the trim to the sleeves than the whole rest of the shirt took.)
I was a little unsure when I pulled out the pattern and saw the seam up the sleeve, but I have to say that I love the way the stripes come together at an angle there. It’s such a unique detail that wouldn’t have happened with a traditional set-in sleeve.
I used a cotton/lycra jersey for the body and just let the bottom edge roll up rather than hemming it. Because of the way the body/sleeve is cut out on this pattern the sleeve edge didn’t roll, so I added some detail with trim that matches the neckline. I think it finished the top off nicely!
One more picture thanks to my very sweet daughters who when they saw that I was chopping the pictures off at the waist, insisted that the extra 15 pounds of baby weight that is still hanging out on my hips is beautiful, and, well, it is Mother’s Day, and if those 15 pounds mean that I have a house full of the joyful laughter of children today, then I think I’ll celebrate them.
Happy Mother’s Day to each of you!